Happy Cinco de Mayo! In honor of this fabulous holiday, I thought I'd share one of my favorite cocktails- a quick and easy margarita with basil and grapefruit- two of my favorite ingredients! Enjoy!
Ingredients- Serves 1 (in a big way)
1.5 oz Silver Tequila (I like Patron)
1.5 oz Cointreau (or any orange flavored liquor)
1.5 oz Fresh Squeezed Grapefruit Juice
Juice from 1/2 Lime
2 Basil Leaves
Pinch of sugar
Grapefruit wedge (for garnish)
Salt (for rim, optional)
1. Start by finely chopping the basil leaves. An easy way to do this is to stack them on top of each other and roll them up then thinly slice the basil leaves, aka a chiffonade.
2. If you're salting your rim (which I'm not), take two plates and pour a little salt on one and a little grapefruit juice on the other. Dip the rim of the glass in the juice first, then the salt.
3. Place basil, pinch of sugar and juice from 1/2 lime on the bottom of your glass and lightly muddle (if you don't have a muddler, use the other side of a wooden spoon).
4. Top with ice, grapefruit juice, Cointreau and Tequila.
5. Give it a stir, garnish with some grapefruit and enjoy!