The Ultimate Burger à la Kate Uncorked
A few weeks ago I made some sliders for a party that I catered and they were such a hit that I decided I had to remake them for myself to really perfect the recipe. As a 4th of July gift to you, my lovely readers, I give you, The Ultimate Burger à la Kate Uncorked.
When it comes to indulging, my general philosophy is as follows- 'If you're going to do something wrong, do it right.' If you're getting ice cream, get the Talenti Gelato. If you're getting pizza, get the most authentically delicious Italian pizza you can find and do as the Italians do- eat the whole damn thing. And if you're going to eat a burger, eat the most amazing burger you can find, or in this case, make! That's my way of telling you that there is both duck fat and Italian sausage in this recipe. You'll thank me.
Now, without further ado...
Ingredients- Makes 5 burgers (or 20 sliders)
1 1/2 lb grass fed ground beef
1/2 lb Italian sausage
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 TBS duck fat, melted
2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
3/4 tsp ground fennel seed
3/4 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 egg, beaten
5 buns, toasted
5 slices of Muenster cheese (or cheese of your choice)
1. Heat 1 tsp of olive oil over medium low heat and sauté onions until they become translucent and start to brown a bit on the sides, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Combine meats, sautéed onion, garlic, Worcestershire, spices and egg together in a bowl. Melt duck fat in a small sauce pan and pour into meat mixture. Mix together until all ingredients are incorporated. I've found it easiest to use your hands, however, be sure to let the duck fat cool a bit before doing so!
3. To taste test, take a small pinch of the burger meat and sear it on a skillet until cooked through. When cooked and cooled, taste and adjust seasoning. This is an east important step..don't skip it!
4. Mold burger meat into 6.5oz patties (this is just over 1/3 lb). Refrigerate until serving.
5. In a cast iron skillet or on the grill, cook burgers over medium heat until desired doneness (about 10-12 minutes for medium rare). Try to only turn the burgers once! Top with Muenster cheese a few minutes before removing patties from the grill.
5. Serve on a toasted bun with the garnish of your choice! I opt for a juicy tomato and chipotle mayo. If you're going the slider route, skewer it with a Gherkin, like so. Enjoy!